This inventive recipe comes from a customer Hazel O Sullivan, a yoga teacher from Cork. ‘They are really yummy and guilt free!!’ . ‘You don’t need any fancy machines either just a blender or a food processor. Kids will have great fun helping specially when it comes to rolling out the little dough balls.’
2 cups pitted dates
1/3 cup unsweetened almond milk
1/2 cup of almond butter
1 – 1.5 cup of coconut flour
1 cup pureed butternut squash or any squash that is in season(pumpkin will be fab in a couple of weeks)
Spice: 1 teaspoon of nutmeg, 2 teaspoons of cinnamon,
Chocolate coating: (or you can simply use vegan chocolate) Or Viviani hazelnut choc works well…
1/2 cup of raw cacao
1 tablespoon of lacuma(optional, the lacuma gives a yummy caramel creamy taste)
1 teaspoon of Xlitol(low GI natural sweetener)
1. To make the date paste, blend the dates and the almond milk until you obtain a creamy consistency.
2. Add the almond butter, butternut squash and spices to the dates paste and blend.
3. Gradually add the coconut flour until you get a dough texture.
4. Make little ball shapes, placing them on baking paper and pop into the freezer for around an hour.
5. Just before you take the balls out heat your coconut oil over a bowl of boiling water. Add your cacao powder, lacuma and xilotol and stir.
6. Take the dough balls out of the freezer and dip each into the raw chocolate mixture, coating well. Its a messy job so to use 2 spoons can help. Then pop your hazelnut on top while the chocolate is still wet.
7. Pop them into the fridge until dry. They are best eaten fresh out of the fridge so you get a nice crunch from the chocolate
Enjoy your guilt free treat!!!