A fun way to use what is in season!
PALEO GLUTEN FREE SPINACH/Chard QUICHE
- 2 large sweet potatoes …Squash worked fine…slightly roasted before grating to make it easy..
- 2-3 tbsp ghee or coconut oil
- 1 tbsp (or more to taste) minced garlic
- 1 (5-ounce) bag of baby spinach, chopped/ chard chopped fine
- 1 bunch green onions, diced…we used baby leeks
- 1-2 tomatoes, optional
- sea salt, to taste
- fresh pepper, to taste
- 8 eggs
- ⅔ cup egg whites
- Preheat oven to 425F.
- Shred the …..squash in a food processor.
- Grease a circular pan. I used a pie pan.
- Press the shredded sweet potato into the bottom and sides of the pan. It will feel rather loose and delicate, but once cooked it sticks together just fine.
- Bake the crust for about 20-25 minutes. When you remove the crust from the oven, turn the temperature down to 375F.
- While the crust is cooking, whisk the eggs and egg whites in a large bowl. Set aside.
- Heat the ghee and garlic over medium heat in a large skillet for a minute or two.
- Add the green onions, salt, and pepper. Cook for about 5 minutes.
- Add the chopped spinach and cook for less than a minute — you just want the spinach to wilt a tiny bit and get well mixed.
- Add the veggies to the bowl of eggs and mix.
- Pour the mixture into the crust. Top with sliced tomatoes (optional).
- Place back in the oven (at 375F) and cook for 20-30 minutes. To test if it is done, just insert a knife into the middle and it should not be liquid at all. If you remove it and cut a piece and realize it is not done, just pop it back in the oven.
The amount of eggs/egg whites you need just depends on the size of the pan. If you pour the mixture on the crust and you need more, just crack a few eggs into a bowl, beat lightly, and add to the crust.
You can make this with any vegetables…